I can't adequately describe how it feels to be a mother to my three children. I really don't think there are words fitting enough. Well at least not in the English language.
Nothing I describe here will be out of the ordinary for many mothers but I feel obligated to pause to make record of some sweet little moments I had today just by being a mother.
This morning I was awoken by a beautiful little girl who came into my bed for snuggles. She climbs onto my bed, then pulls back the covers, wiggles her little body in next to mine and then pulls the covers up to her chin. She then throws her arms around my neck and gives me multiple kisses.
Later this morning during one of my nesting moments I decided I was going to assemble Levi's new bed. It's a space saver bed that was given to us by a family in our ward. Nyah's double bed fits neatly underneath Levi's new bed.
I was struggling to hold the pieces of the bed and screw them together, so I called on Nyah to give me a hand. She stood there and very helpfully held things upright to make it possible for me to do. We tidied hers and Levi's room, getting rid of excess toys to donate to children less fortunate than ours. We vacuumed and dusted until their room looked a picture and then the three of them decided it was fun jump all over the newly made beds. I could see their delight, but alas, my weary body and mind was not impressed. I was the fun police and put things to an end. I was taught that beds were for sleeping in and if I wanted to jump on something, there was a trampoline outside. My children have a trampoline. Inferior to the one I had as a child, but a trampoline none the less.
It came time for naps, that blessed two hours of relief for a mother whose eldest daughter does not shut up. She is wonderful, her character beautiful but why oh why does she need to be so loud? All of the time. She knows only one volume and all talking and continual singing is set to that volume. That constant noise can sometimes do your head in, thus nap time can be a wondrous thing.
In my attempt to avoid cleaning the toilets, I decided on a change in the kitchen and dining area. The kitchen needed a thorough clean so I did that, and then proceeded to rearrange the dining table and chairs. We have an eight-seater dining table that stretches the length of our dining room. Levi rides Tori's small bicycle around and around the dining table crashing into furniture and putting dents in things. It was my genius to remove two of the dining chairs, putting them in storage in the garage and then swivelling the dining table horizontally, butting one end up against the kitchen bench and placing three chairs on each side of the dining table. As soon as Nyah came down stairs and saw the new arrangement, the first thing she said was "good idea mum now Levi can't ride the bike around the table". I thought to myself 'this child is brilliant'.
Tori often awakes from her afternoon nap with an unpleasant lingering aroma in her room. I am always greeted with a red rosy-cheeked smile, and crazy bed hair. The way she calls out "mummy" in her husky little voice (apparently caused by sinusitis), simply melts me. She looks up at me with the purest of pure eyes and I reach into her bed to give her a hug. she is the one child that will hold on to you tightly for a real solid hug. They are the best.
When Levi awakes from his nap, he usually wants cuddles for at least 20 minutes. Although sometimes inconvenient I relish at this opportunity. The two of us go and sit on our nice big couch, Levi placing his thumb in his mouth and his cheek up against mine, then with his other hand, he will gently rub my other cheek or run his fingers through my hair if not tied in a ponytail.
At this point it will only be a few moments before Tori and Nyah want in on the cuddles. Tori and Levi will fight for prime position on my lap which sometimes ends in tears. Nyah cuddles from the side, she knows it's safer there. Meanwhile I wonder how child number four is coping in the womb with all the rough and tumble going on with his brother and sister. Then a thought comes to my mind, 'how on earth am I going to fit another one on my lap for cuddle time?'
When I first fell in love with Jim I didn't dream of that love growing and multiplying the way it has. I remember being pregnant with Levi and thinking 'how am I going to have enough love to go around?' I had it, and it just keeps getting bigger. With each little spirit that joins our family, my love for Jim increases.
The day to day tasks of being a stay at home mum can be taxing and often less than exciting as far as the eyes of the world can see, but each little cuddle, cheeky expression, sassy comment, loud song and/or look of innocence, reminds me of how blessed I am to have three little ones (and another on the way), call me 'mummy'.
No comments:
Post a Comment