Here I am sifting through reflections of my upbringing thinking of
characteristics that I could do away with and others that I should keep. My Parents were born in 1934 and 1940 (sorry
mum to reveal this to the readers, but you are doing well for an ol’ girl so
don’t feel too bad). Mum has said that
when she was young, she wouldn’t dare back-chat her parents. It was part of the Ten Commandments “thou
shalt honour thy father and thy mother” (I’d like to note here that to my
knowledge, the Ten Commandments still exist today even though some have tried
to change them and/or devalue them). People back then
actually knew the Ten Commandments and strived to live them and not just the
big ones like “thou shalt not kill”. I’m
not saying that in my parents’ generation that everything was next to
Godliness, but there did seem to be a general respect for God, King, country,
self and fellowmen. At least this is the
feel I get from associating a lot with this age group.
My parents were big on manners. I was constantly reminded to say “please” and
“thank you”.
The course provided me with knowledge on how to walk with
good posture, sit and stand nicely, get in and out of cars keeping your knees
together and other forms of etiquette from speech with a focus on interviewing
and dinner invitations etc. I was taught
the basics of photographic modelling and catwalk modelling. It was a turning point for me in my
adolescence. I did not find myself to be
anything special as far as looks goes, but I was aware I was blossoming into a
woman and that I was getting a little attention. This in part developed my confidence. In later years however, I was to discover
that it was all a façade. Deep down, I
felt really small.
No comments:
Post a Comment