| The first time parents |
I really loved the three years Jim and I have together before we became parents. I feel we had adequate time to get to know each other and that we were prepared to embark on this thing called parenthood. In December of 2007 I became a mother. Once you have the title of mother pronounced upon you that is it. There is no turning back.
The name Nyah was chosen after I watched the movie “Mission
Impossible 2”. Nyah was the name of the character
played by the beautiful Thandie Newton.
I had always liked the name Mia but got a little turned off by the fact that Lleyton and Bec Hewitt named their daughter, Mia (Lleyton being an
Australian tennis player and Bec, formerly Rebecca Cartwright whose claim to
fame is/was the Australian TV series, Home and Away). I was not a fan of Lleyton Hewitt at the
time. The name Nyah was just that little bit
different without being too weird. I was
nineteen when I chose that name for a daughter I might never have. It was years later that I discovered its
origins. It is Swahili and its meaning
is ‘purpose’. Given that our belief is
that all are born into this world with a purpose, I like its meaning. When you also know how planned this conception
was, given that Nyah’s father is an extremely planned out and organised person,
it gives more meaning. It was Jim who had all the weeks and months
mapped out of when we could start trying to conceive. It needed to fit in with my university, his
university and where we were living among other things. I’m quite a spontaneous person and I don’t
always think things through so for me, Jim is my reason, my calm in the storm
and oft times my rock.
March 2007 was, according to Jim, the most practical and
fitting time to start trying for a baby.
Well, Nyah was conceived somewhere around the first week in March and
arrived on her due date, the 1st of December. I actually went into labour at 12:15 on her
due date. It was a Saturday so Jim need
not take an unexpected day off work (not that this would have been an issue, I
just say it to illustrate how perfect the timing was to the very moment). It was all very convenient. So much so that a good friend of Jim’s
jokingly said “you couldn’t have planned
that any better”. Jim also has issues
with tardiness. You can NEVER be
late. You can presume that Nyah got off
on the right foot with her daddy from the very beginning.
Nyah was born after I completed my second year of
university. I attribute much of her
brightness today not only as an inheritance from her father but also due to the
amount of lectures she sat in during my pregnancy. We know that there is great evidence suggesting
that it is beneficial to speak to, read to and play classical music to your
child whilst in the womb. I believe that
having them attend university in utero is also beneficial. It might well explain why Nyah has the gift
of the gab. Second year had a lot to do
with Language, Grammar and that dreaded subject titled Schools, Values and
Reasoning. A friend of mine whilst pregnant
with her second child studied voice and amongst all her siblings, that child is
the one with a stand out singing
voice.
| Nyah practising her nursing skills |
So whether we like breastfeeding, don't, can't or won't I think Dolly Parton of all people has pointed this out to all women without mincing her words, "underneath those boobs is a heart". Ah, the heart. A willing heart and a loving heart. Is that not the essence of true motherhood?
Hi Krissy, hope you don't mind me popping by. I love what you said about breastfeeding. I have the same feelings. It is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life - and I'm not so great at it, but I wouldn't choose to miss out on it for the world. From the dolly parton look alike boobs in the first week, to the saggy grandma ones when your done ;)
ReplyDeleteSo true. I was only asking that question the other day. "where have those girls gone?"
Deletegreat post Krissy...i too love breast feeding my girls and it was a lot different then to now...i had the era of "you dont feed your children in public", there were no special public places set aside to do so anywhere and i remember the only one in the city was that grotty toilet behind the quadrant mall which had the only room you could go to and that had a toilet in it..how unhygenic!!!..i am so glad that attitudes have changed to one of the most natural and beautiful things a mother can do for her child in the scheme of human nature and the survival of life...and i LOVE dolly Parton..(who by the way {i think i am right} never had kids.
ReplyDelete